Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"No one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of me"

Scripture: Mark 9:38-40

38 John said to him, "Teacher, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he was not following us." 39 But Jesus said, "Do not forbid him; for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of me. 40 For he that is not against us is for us.

Meditation: Do you rejoice in the good that others do, especially when they seem to outshine you? Jesus reprimands his disciples for their jealousy and intolerance towards others. Jesus had given his disciples power and authority to heal the sick and to cast out evil spirits from tormented individuals. But the discisples became upset when they met someone who was not associated with them doing a good deed and acting with Jesus' authority and power. The apostles even "forbade" the man to stop speaking in the name of Jesus "because he was not following us." Jesus' reply is filled with wisdom: "No one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of me." Whenever someone chooses to act for good in order to overcome evil that person brings glory to God.


Why were the disciples intolerant towards the man who was doing a good deed in the name of Jesus? Perhaps they were envious or jealous. Are we not like the disciples when we get upset and jealous because someone else has taken our place or taken the spotlight away from us? Envy and jealousy, its counterpart, are sinful because they lead us to sorrow over what should make us rejoice – namely, our neighbor's good. The reason we may be sad or feel discontent over our another's good fortune or excellence is the fear of losing our own value and excellence or being replaced by a rival. Envy is contrary to love. Both the object of love and the object of envy is our neighbor's good, but by contrary movements, since love rejoices in our neighbor's good, while envy grieves over it. How can we overcome envy and jealousy? With the love that God puts into our hearts through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5). This love seeks the highest good of our neighbor. Paul the Apostle says that "love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right" (1 Corinthians 13:5-6). Ask the Lord to fill you with his purifying love that you may rejoice in the good of others, even in those who may cross you at times or cause you difficulty.
"Lord Jesus Christ, your love knows no bounds. Free my heart of all jealousy, pride, and fear that I may love my neighbor wholly for their good, just as you have loved me."

Psalm 119: 1-8

1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD!
2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways!
4 Thou hast commanded thy precepts to be kept diligently.
5 O that my ways may be steadfast in keeping thy statutes!
6 Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all thy commandments.
7 I will praise thee with an upright heart, when I learn thy righteous ordinances.
8 I will observe thy statutes; O forsake me not utterly!

No comments: